The jumping off point for this show is Chris Cooper's "7 Joys of Birding"
1. The beauty of the birds
2. The joy of being in a natural setting
3. The joy of hunting, without the bloodshed
4. The joy of puzzle-solving (i.e., making an ID)
5. The joy of collecting (i.e., listing)
6. The joys of scientific discovery (the amazing stuff you learn firsthand)
7. "The Unicorn Effect"--you know from the field guide, from word of mouth, from nature shows,
or whatever, that such-and-such a bird exists, but you've never seen it...and then one day,
there it is before you, in real life, as if a unicorn stepped out of the forest.